Tragedy Struck As He Shoveled Snow
It was a cold and snowy night in New Jersey, so a mom and her kids -- ages 1 and 3 -- sat inside the car with the heat running. Meanwhile, the children's dad shoveled snow that was surrounding the vehicle, clearing a path so they could head out. He just wanted to keep his family warm. But one simple danger never crossed his mind, and the evening quickly turned tragic because of it. And that's why police are now warning everyone of this silent killer!
Credit: Mitsu Yasukawa for The Record
As Felix Bonilla Jr. was clearing a path for the vehicle, no one realized that the tailpipe was clogged with snow. Because of it, the inside of the running car was steadily filling with odorless and deadly carbon monoxide gas. And when Felix went to check on his family, he was unable to wake them up. He immediately called 911, and neighbors rushed out to help when they noticed the man "jumping and crying."
Sadly, it was too late for 23-year-old mom, Sashalynn Rosa, and 1-year-old son, Messiah. The couple's 3-year-old daughter, Saniyah, was rushed to the hospital in critical condition, where she tragically passed away a few days later. The loss was devastating for the dad who friends described as spending every second of his time outside of work with his children.
Credit: ABC 7 Eyewitness News
The story is absolutely heartbreaking. And it's a mistake anyone could easily make, which is precisely why we are sharing it. In fact, the tragedy has prompted local police and several municipalities in New Jersey to issue warnings about the lesser known risk of clogged tailpipes that snow storms bring. Battalion Chief Chris DiBella warned,
"Any snow that covers your tailpipe you want to shovel the snow from the back of the car and clear the tailpipe before you even start the car."
Additionally, it is recommended that when shoveling around the car to "be sure there is ample room for air to circulate in front and behind your car to allow any exhaust to dissipate and not build up around your car.”
Please be praying for Felix. May his strength come from the Lord as he walks through this time of tremendous grief. And please be sure to share this warning so others don't make the same mistake.
“The Lord is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer; my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold.” Psalm 18:2
Their son nearly died, so they are warning all parents of this DANGER!